He has freelanced for companies such as American Greetings and Pearson Education, as well as ghost written books for celebrity authors. Derrick has done work as a contributing blogger for sites such as Denene Millner’s award winning parenting site Mybrownbaby.com.
Over the past nine years he has traveled all over the country conducting dozens of author presentations and workshops for children between the ages of 5-17 ; keynote speaker, guest, or resident author for various literacy programs, most notably:
- Barbara Bush Celebration of Reading-Boca Raton, FL (two years in a row)
- NFL Pro Bowl Defensive End Justin Tuck’s R.U.S.H. For Literacy- Harlem, NY
- Dr. Alfred Tatum (University of Illinois @ Chicago) African American Male Summer Literacy Institute-Chicago, IL
- Black Male Development Symposium-Arcadia University
- Texas Book Festival-Austin, TX
- NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English)-Disney World-Orlando, FL
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools-Creative Writing workshops
Derrick is a connoisseur of music from hip-hop’s Golden Age (late 80s-mid 90s), vintage jazz (Coltrane, Miles, Joe Henderson, Mingus, Monk,etc.) He loves to exercise, read (of course) and spend as much time as possible with his family. He resides in Charlotte, NC with his enchanting wife, Tinka and their sons, Ezra, Solomon, Silas, and Nnamdi.
Photography Credit: Victoria-Jessica Photography